Thankful for recipes, especially new recipes that actually turn out and you can share with everyone. Here is the Hobo Bread Recipe: Enjoy!!!! e-mail address for more recipes www.thatsmyhome.com/hannahs/quick/hobo-bread.htm
Hobo Bread
This recipe appeared in the Bellwether, a weekly newspaper for the staff of Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum.
2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups boiling water
4 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups walnuts
4 cups flour
Pour boiling water over raisins; let cool. Stir in soda and other ingredients.
Fill 6 or 7 greased and floured large soup cans to half full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. Cool and remove from cans.
Makes 6 or 7 large loaves or 24 servings.
I used 2: 1 pound 13 ounce can, (the short, fat ones that usually contain hominy or enchilada sauce.
I also used 1: 1 pound 12 can, (tall which has baked beans or soup)
The tall can was done in 45 minutes and the other 2 I cooked for another 10 minutes.
I did not set them directly on the overrack, but on a cookie sheet.
The next time I will use wheat flour, Organic, which I just purchased and probably honey to sweeten, maybe pecans, and add 2 teaspoons vanilla, rather 1 teaspoons as the recipe called for. I froze 2 and we are eating the other one. ( not everyday though full of calories!!!!.
Gary and I purchased Hobo Bread at the Henry Ford Museum in November 2008, we were going through the checkout line at the lunch food court, and there it was and it was yummy. Let me know how you like it.
Bible study today was awesome, we are in Genesis and as I have just finished reading Genesis, it is so great to be familiar with the wonderful truths in that book. The beginning!!!!!
Love you all
Nana C
4 comments:
Well have to make this with the girls the next tiem you come out. They would enjoy it.
Susan
I agree, yes they would have fun. Love Mom
Hmmm...sounds interesting! I may just have to try it :o) Hope all is going well - enjoy that lemon bunt cake! An answer to your question about the cleanse is coming this week - stay tuned - I didn't forget! Miss you too Nana!
Can't WAIT to try it!!!!!!!!
Did I mention that I am really hungry right now and your post did NOT help??? ;)
Love you!
Post a Comment